Last updated: 2.48pm, Wednesday 2nd January 2019
- 400,000 pickpocketing incidents occur per day worldwide
- Pickpocketing thefts increased by 20% in London between 2010 – 2012.
- During the London 2012 Olympics reported incidents of pickpocketing rose to 1,700 per day.
- There are an average of 600,000 incidents per year in the UK.
- NYPD reports 3,000 pickpocket incidents a month in New York City. But many go unreported.
- 33% of travel insurance claims are for lost or stolen items.
- In 2015 the film Focus, starring Will Smith and Margot Robbie, featured a highly impressive pickpocketing scene. The characters acted in a team to trick people and swipe valuables whilst in a large crowd who were celebrating at a street festival.
- Bob Arno, who is a pickpocket guru & sleight of hand artist, estimates 6,000 incidents per day – however, again, many go unreported.
- He also claims that at least 1 out of 4 tourists are pickpocketed each year in Barcelona.
- The most highly targeted cities around the world for pickpocketing are –
- Barcelona, Spain
- Rome, Italy
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Madrid, Spain
- Paris, France
- Florence, Italy
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Athens, Greece
- Hanoi, Vietnam
Keep your belongings secure by only taking out what you need with you, don’t carry around unnecessary extra cash. We would recommend you keep all documentation such as passports and boarding passes locked away in a hotel safe whilst you are away. Whilst you are at home why not get a home safe installed in order to give you peace of mind that your valuables are safe and secure at home? At Safes International we have a wide range of safes available, as well as higher security measures such as access control systems and even strongrooms! To find out more about the products and services we offer to keep our customers feeling as protected as possible, visit www.safesinternational.com or call us on 0141 554 1170.